Saturday, July 4, 2009

Scrooge

It rained all day today. What a wonderful treat for someone who has found that he doesn't like fireworks. There, I said it. I just can't get into them. Now, I enjoy the professional fireworks displays that light up the night, but the Black Cat, bottle rocket non-sense is something I can do without.

Maybe it is the fact that I have small children and I want them to sleep through the night. I find that fireworks are dangerous, obnoxious and are just plain noise pollution. I can't think of a worse way to squander 20 bucks than to tie a fuse to it, light it and watch it explode. I remember laying in bed during my first July 4th back from Iraq. The weather was beautiful and their were fireworks aplenty. We turned in early and laid there in bed, tossing and turning. Finally, Noel had had enough. "What is wrong," she grumbled, waking. Half asleep, I said, "It sounds like Baghdad outside."

She sat straight up. "What did you say?"

"I don't know." I replied. "I just don't like the noise." And I don't. Maybe, one of these days, the ghosts of Independence Day Past, Present and Future will visit me and show me how truly wonderful roman candles are. But, until then, I will continue to shut my windows at 9:30, put my head under a pillow and bear it.

I will leave you with a bit of fireworks humor. This is from the movie Joe Dirt, starring David Spade. It is my favorite scene in the movie. Enjoy.

No comments: