Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Conversations with a 5-year-old and Presidential History

A good friend of mine and I were discussing our children. As the father of a 9-month-old, he asked me about different ages and if there was a 'good' age vs a 'bad' one. I answered that they were all good for some reasons and bad for others (like all ages as I am sure I will discover). I am currently loving the 5s with my son, Mason. We now talk about about real issues and I see him engaging to learn, confirm and grow.

Mason: Daddy, who is Rock Obama?
Daddy: He is our President.
Mason: Not John M-Cain?
Daddy: No, son. The people of America chose Barak Obama to be our President.
Mason: Did he get shot?
Daddy: No, why? (!)
Mason: President Lincoln got shot. Wilkes Booth killed him.
Daddy: That's right. Where did you learn that?(!)
Mason: At school. He is our 16th president. George Washington is our first president. He didn't get shot.
Daddy: What about President Grover Cleveland?
Mason: That's not a real president, Daddy.

No comments: