Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving ... You've Been Laid Off!

Well, I have proved that I am not immune to the Recession (yes, it is a proper noun, now). I was notified a short time ago that I am no longer employed. I am leaving a company with some wonderful people; folks that I care about and that do the same for me. When the ladies in my (former) receiving department heard the news, they made coupons for one 'Doug Hug' and all three came up to use them this morning before I left.

Some of the folks took me to lunch for my 'last supper' as one of the ladies called it (It was ironic if the woman behind the counter at the restaurant asked if I wanted a 'to-go' cup. I had to laugh). It is good to know that people care.

I am not sure what I am in for now. I am reminded of the quote from Jules (played by Samuel L. Jackson) in the movie Pulp Fiction, after he had an epiphany. John Travolta's character, Vincent, asks him what he is going to do.

JULES
... Basically, I'm gonna walk the earth.

VINCENT
What do you mean, walk the earth?

JULES
You know, like Caine in "KUNG FU." Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures.

VINCENT
How long do you intend to walk the earth?

JULES
Until God puts me where he want me to be.

VINCENT
What if he never does?

JULES
If it takes forever, I'll wait forever.

VINCENT
So you decided to be a bum?

JULES
I'll just be Jules, Vincent -- no more, no less.

I don't know if I will wait forever but I know that whenever one door closes, another opens. I thumb my nose at this downturn. 'Bring it!', I say. You can't hold me back. Some of my closest friends have been laid off and they have embraced their inner-Tim Gunn and have 'made it work'.

Please keep us in your thoughts as I am sure the coming weeks and months won't be easy or stress-free. I know something will come along. Rest assured that the Huber Family will survive and thrive. There is something out there for me. I just have to go out and find it and be Doug -- no more, no less.

3 comments:

gregandlori said...

Congratulations and welcome to the freedom to realize your potential! Unchained from the bonds of corporate dysfunction, you can finally prove your talents! Compete in the free market and WIN! It's a glorious time to be talented and available... Big things are coming, I can feel it.

Indiana Lori said...

To quote Miss Sara when Greg was laid off from the establishment you are now leaving, "Oh GOOD Daddy. That place smelled."

Better smelling pastures await you. The Recession cannot bring us Midwesterners down. We're made of sturdier stock.

Thank God for our health,

Team Fulk

Teebyrd said...

Some of us were missing the "Boss Man" today so we looked at your blog,"Sweet!" "Right On, Right On!", "Nice!" were the responses, as we looked at the "Doug Hug" coupon. All we could say was "Free at last, Free at last, Thank God Almighty, he's free at last!"
Much Love "Boss Man"