Monday, December 20, 2010

Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell

In the past couple of days, I've gotten some questions about my thoughts on the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT). (For those of you who stumbled across my blog, I served as a combat arms officer in the U.S. Army for almost eight years - just as a point of reference).

I think that this ruling is going to be a 'non-issue' in the medium and long run. In the short term, there will be an adjustment that many in the military will have to make. The Army that I was in was professional and focused on mission accomplishment. I doubt that has changed in five years. I don't buy the argument that it will adversely affect morale and that it will impact the 'good order and discipline' of small units. If a commander at any rank were to tell me that it would affect the good order and discipline my response would only be, "Are you telling me that you can't maintain discipline in your unit?" The army survives and thrives on discipline. it is a cornerstone of a professional fighting force. What the boss says, goes. This will be no different. Soldiers adapted to the integration of African-American soldiers and (in a more apt comparison) women into units. They, too, will adapt to this change.

Now that is not to say that there won't be some issues. There will be a small percentage in uniform that won't be able to adjust to this change. They will be dealt with through the Uniform Code of Military Justice. On the other side of the coin, there will be some homosexuals that will enlist to make a point and to flaunt the fact that this is now their right. Those few will make their point, but will have to suffer a grueling two year enlistment doing so.

The bottom line is that most will self select. Those interested in serving their country will enlist. Like most humans, they will keep their sexuality a fairly private matter, it only becoming apparent when they show up to a function with their date.

There are thousands of brave men and women who are serving this country who happen to be gay. They deserve the right to serve their country without fear of persecution or prosecution.

No comments: